The US Mint’s 2012 Silver Sets should include the 2012 Silver Proof Set and the 2012 Quarters Silver Proof Set. Each of these silver sets will contain proof quality strikes representative of the circulating coinage of the United States that year with some of those strikes minted from a composition of 90% silver.
Included in the Quarters Proof Set will be the five 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters that continue a series dating back to 2010. Each of these coins will be struck from 90% of the precious metal to proof quality and presented in a protective lens to safeguard their finish.
The 2012 Silver Proof Set will contain one proof quality example of each of the 2012 circulating coins produced by the US Mint. This includes the aforementioned quarter dollars, once again struck from 90% silver, as well as a Roosevelt Dime and a Kennedy Half Dollar, also struck from the precious metal. Remaining strikes in the silver set will be struck to proof quality as well, but from their standard clad composition.
2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set
Included as part of the 2012 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set™ will be the following coins, each struck from 90% silver for a total of 0.904 ounces of the precious metal included in the set:
- 2012-S El Yunque Quarter representing El Yunque National Forest of Puerto Rico
- 2012-S Chaco Culture Quarter representing Chaco Culture National Historical Park of New Mexico
- 2012-S Acadia Quarter representing Acadia National Park of Maine
- 2012-S Hawaii Volcanoes Quarter representing Hawaii Volcanoes National Park of Hawaii
- 2012-S Denali Quarter representing Denali National Park of Alaska
These five coins continue the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program which debuted in 2010 and will see five quarters issued annually as part of it until it is completed in 2021. Each coin in the series honors a different site of national interest from around the United States and its territories.
2012 Silver Proof Set
The 2012 United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ will contain the previously mentioned five 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters along with a Roosevelt Dime and a Kennedy Half Dollar, also produced from 90% silver. Joining those seven coins in the set will be clad composition strikes representing the remaining circulating coins from the US Mint that year.
The 2012 Silver Proof Set should contain the following fourteen coins:
- 2012-S Lincoln Cent
- 2012-S Jefferson Nickel
- 2012-S Roosevelt Dime
- 2012-S El Yunque Quarter
- 2012-S Chaco Culture Quarter
- 2012-S Acadia Quarter
- 2012-S Hawaii Volcanoes Quarter
- 2012-S Denali Quarter
- 2012-S Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2012-S Native American $1 Coin
- 2012-S Chester A. Arthur Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Grover Cleveland (#1) Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Benjamin Harrison Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Grover Cleveland (#2) Presidential $1 Coin
In total, these seven coins will contain 1.338 ounces of silver giving each set an intrinsic melt value approximately equal to the current market price of that amount of the precious metal on the open market.